compiled/edited by B. Munn
Our second truncated list for the Summer Time. Normally, I compile a list of Top 30 overall and Top 30 by Canadian creators bestselling comic books. I just don’t have the time lately, so I’ve decided to offer an infrequent, shorter version of the weekly list. If you are still jonesin’ for a mainstream bestseller list, the Globe and Mail offered a list of graphic novels this past week that included all the usual suspects (Buffy, Wolverine, Naruto).
The bestselling graphic novels and comics collections in Canada, courtesy of BookManager. The full list by BookManager is available, with some work, here. The list is compiled by BookManager based on sales through over 400 independent bookstores, including several comic book stores and the D+Q store. Sales through most comic shops and larger retailers like Chapters-Indigo are not reflected in this list. For balance, you might want to try the Amazon.ca and Chapters-Indigo lists. (The other day, George Sprott was #10 on amazon.ca). See here for our previous list.
Canadian Content: You have to wade through an awful lot of translated Japanese manga, U.S. superhero fantasies, and collected editions of Sherman’s Lagoon to come up with a list of 30 bestselling books created by Canadians. In total, BookManager lists over 4000 graphic novels, trades, and strip collections, the vast majority of which are not by Canadians. This list does not include books that are only illustrated but not written/created-by Canadians.
Sequential’s All-Canadian Top 20 from BookManager
1. (1) Doug Wright: Canada’s Master Cartoonist, Doug Wright (D+Q)
2. (5) Skim, Mariko Tamaki/Jillian Tamaki (Groundwood)
3. (10) Home Sweat Home, Lynn Johnston (Andrews McMeel)
4. (2) Louis Riel, Chester Brown (D+Q)
5. (6) Big Foot, Graham Roumieu (Plume)
6. (4) George Sprott, Seth (D+Q)
7. (7) Scott Pilgrim 5, Bryan Lee O’Malley (Oni)
8. (13) Senior’s Discount, Lynn Johnston (Andrews McMeel)
9. (-) Milk Teeth, Julie Morstad (D+Q)
10. (3) Plain Janes, Castelucci/Rugg (Minx/DC)
11. (-) Essex County 3, Jeff Lemire (Top Shelf)
12. (11) The Burma Chronicles, Guy Delisle (D+Q)
13. (9) Nightschool 1, Svetlana Chmakova (Yen)
14. (12) Ojingogo, Matt Forsythe (D+Q)
15. (8) the great hopeful someday, Elizabeth Belliveau (Conundrum)
16. (14) Scott Pilgrim 3, Bryan Lee O’Malley (Oni)
17. (-) Pohadky, Marek Colek Pat Shewchuck (D+Q)
18. (-) Papercut Heart, Ian Sullivan Cant (Conundrum)
19. (-) Never Wink at a Worried Woman, Lynn Johnston (Andrews McMeel)
20. (-) Baloney, Pascal Blanchet (D+Q)
(last week’s rank in parentheses)
Please feel free to comment or email about these lists.