by BK Munn
The Giller Prize longlist was announced earlier today and Clyde Fans, the graphic novel by the cartoonist Seth, was among the 14 books nominated. It is the first time a graphic novel has been nominated for the literary prize, which awards $100,000 to one author annually.
The list, chosen by a small jury from 118 books, including several graphic novels, was announced live online and the graphic novel nom is among many firsts for the award this year, which will be held entirely online and awarded in a November ceremony. A narrowed-down shortlist of finalists will be announced October 5. The prize was founded in 1994 by millionaire Jack Rabinovitch in honour of his wife, journalist Doris Giller.
Here are the nominees:
- -Gil Adamson, for her novel, Ridgerunner, published by House of Anansi Press
- -David Bergen, for his short story collection, Here The Dark, published by Biblioasis
- -Lynn Coady, for her novel, Watching You Without Me, published by House of Anansi Press
- -Eva Crocker, for her novel, All I Ask, published by House of Anansi Press
- Emma Donoghue, for her novel, Pull of The Stars, published by HarperCollins Publishers Ltd.
- -Francesca Ekwuyasi, for her novel, Butter Honey Pig Bread, published by Arsenal Pulp Press
- -Michelle Good, for her novel, Five Little Indians, published by HarperCollins Publishers Ltd.
- -Kaie Kellough, for his short story collection, Dominoes At The Crossroads, published by Véhicule Press
- -Thomas King, for his novel, Indians On Vacation, published by Harper Collins Publishers Ltd.
- -Annabel Lyon, for her novel, Consent, published by Random House Canada, an imprint of Penguin Random House Canada
- -Shani Mootoo, for her novel, Polar Vortex, published by Book*hug Press
- -Emily St. John Mandel, for her novel, The Glass Hotel, published by HarperCollins Publishers Ltd.
- -Seth, for his graphic novel, Clyde Fans, published by Drawn & Quarterly
- -Souvankham Thammavongsa, for her short story collection, How To Pronounce Knife, published by McClelland & Stewart, an imprint of Penguin Random House Canada