Some quick links about the art and commerce of comics across Canada:
- Canwest Global, the multinational media company run by the Asper family and publisher of the National Post, continues to have financial trouble.
- Chris Butcher catches the news that Diamond will no longer carry or distribute over 1000 manga volumes published by U.S.-based VIZ. For those not in the know, VIZ is essentially the publisher of the bestselling comics in Canada, even though the de-listed volumes may not be the bestselling comics currently (if ever).
- Speaking of which, the Beat discusses the Diamond bestsellers for January, featuring backlist titles.
- Seaguy sneak-peak: Cameron Stewart pencils for the upcoming Grant Morrison series. The latest installment of Stewart’s Sin Titulo webcomic is now online.
- The McGill daily profiles Diane Obomsawin, whose Kaspar Hauser graphic novel has just been published by Drawn and Quarterly.
- Does the Canadian media and education system not do enough to promote Canadian books? Cormorant Books publisher Mark Cote argues this is the case in an essay for the Globe.